By Taiwo Ojoye
Alexander Okere, Benin
The family of a teenager, Benedict Sani, who was electrocuted in the Uhunmwonde Local Government Area of Edo State, on Friday blamed the death of their son on the alleged negligence of the Benin Electricity Distribution Company.
The father of the deceased, Pius, also said that he had aspired to become a Catholic priest on completion of his secondary education.
The late Benedict, a JSS 3 pupil of Eyaen Secondary School, had on Thursday died after making contact with a faulty electric pole belonging to the BEDC along the Benin-Auchi expressway.
The pole, bearing high-tension cables around Eyaen Primary School, was said to have been damaged when a vehicle rammed into it on Monday.
The 13-year-old boy, who was the only son of his parents, was said to have touched a metal rod that had been exposed due to the damage and was instantly electrocuted, leaving him burnt beyond recognition.
The development was said to have sparked a protest by angry pupils and residents, who blamed the BEDC for allegedly failing to fix the pole.
It was learnt that the protest, which grounded traffic on the road, turned violent before the intervention of the Enogie of Eyaen, Dr. Aiwerioghene Iduriase.
One of the protesters was also alleged to have been shot dead and another injured by police operatives deployed to the scene.
However, Pius, who hails from Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State, said the family had yet to recover from shock occasioned by the death of his son.
He explained, “Someone called me saying that she was the principal of Eyaen Secondary School and told me that my son had a serious accident. On my way to the place, the driver that took me told me that my son was burnt.
“He even refused to collect money from me, saying that I had lost something more than money. When I got to the scene, I checked and confirmed that he (deceased) was my son.
“In fact, I was shocked because I did not expect it. My son left home early that day for school, expecting that I would seen him; he did not come back home.”
The distraught parent, who earned a living as an automobile electrician to cater for his wife and four children, said that his late …read more
Read more here:: Punchng